Becoming an Accredited Swimming Teacher is a terrifically rewarding career choice as it incorporates both the sporting and education industries and provides you with an industry and VET recognised qualification.
You can become a Swimming Teacher in three specialist areas:
Swimming and Water Safety Teacher – this qualification allows you to teach children from 2.5 years of age and qualifies you to teach from non-swimmers through to stroke development swimmers.
Babies and Toddlers Teacher – this qualification allows you to teach Babies from 6mths of age through to 4yr old swimmers the skills required to enjoy and become familiar with water exploration through to water safety and swimming.
Competitive Swimming Teacher – this qualification allows you to deliver basic swimming squad sessions that are aimed at developing the swimmer’s technique and introducing the swimmer to the elements of competitive swimming. Please note: this is the prerequisite course to becoming a Swimming Coach.
To become a Swim AustraliaTM Swimming Teacher, you need to complete the following elements:
- Enrol in a Swim Australia Teacher course, enrol here.
- Complete the online Theory component.
- Attend and be marked competent at the Practical Workshop.
- Complete on the Job Training at an Aquatic centre or Swim School.
- Complete an Assessment workbook comprising lesson plans, incident report and training hours register.
- Conduct three lessons to at least three learners in front of a suitably accredited assessor and be marked competent.
- Provide evidence of a current CPR accreditation, find courses here.
- Provide evidence of a current Working with Children Check.
- Be at least 16 yrs of age – Please note: you will not receive your accreditation until you have turned 17 yrs of age.
Once you have completed your course, you will receive your first year of ASCTA membership and your industry recognised qualification, valid for three years. The holding of both will enable you to gain employment throughout Australia and Internationally.
Can’t find a course workshop but want to get started on your Swim Teaching journey?
Swim Australia now offer the ability to purchase and enrol into the theory modules of our Swim Australia Teacher courses for $50 while awaiting a practical induction so you can commence this aspect of the course in the meantime. This fee is then deducted from the total course cost at the time of registering for the workshop.
Please click the links below for more information: